They’re Setting Fire to the Oceans…those are actually partial lyrics to a song by a band called Yukon Blonde that’s been stuck in my head since a recent message from Mary came through. The image that she sent was that of the ocean and a single fishing boat. My first thought was that the boat seemed so small in comparison to the massive oceans, but yet at the same time I felt fear. The reality is that our oceans are in danger. It’s as if we are setting fire to the oceans through our over consumption and disposable life styles… plus the issue of over fishing… we are placing a huge strain on our environment.
Most people are unaware of what is happening to our delicate underwater ecosystems. Most of us know about the health benefits of fish and fish oils, but are unaware of the destruction that is happening all over the world. I’m not suggesting giving up the health benefits but we should at least be thinking about our lifestyles and the choices we make.
I found a very interesting video from the UK which I’m sure is reflective in the fishing practices in other parts of the world. Also, there is a documentary coming out next month by Rob Stewart called Revolution that will be worth watching.
In the meantime here is a link that outlines 10 things that you can do to help…I’ve listed the bullet points below:
1. Mind Your Carbon Footprint and Reduce Energy Consumption
2. Make Safe, Sustainable Seafood Choices
3. Use Fewer Plastic Products
4. Help Take Care of the Beach
5. Don’t Purchase Items That Exploit Marine Life
6. Be an Ocean-Friendly Pet Owner
7. Support Organizations Working to Protect the Ocean
8. Influence Change in Your Community
9. Travel the Ocean Responsibly
10. Educate Yourself About Oceans and Marine Life
Love yourself…love the earth…love the oceans..and this is according to Mary.